The protection, privacy and responsibly handling of your personal information is a priority to us.
AUSTRALIAN PRIVACY PRINCIPLES
The Outdoor Education Group is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). The Australian Privacy Principles cover the collection, use, disclosure, integrity and security of, and access to, personal information.
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual or a reasonably identifiable individual, whether the information or opinion is true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not; this includes information we have collected from schools, other organisations, students and parents. It should be noted that where a guardian gives information on behalf of a child, this information is treated as if it had been received from the child. The privacy of the information provided is therefore protected in the same way as for an individual.
Generally, the kinds of personal information The Outdoor Education Group collects is:
- contact and identification information such as name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth
- emergency contact details and next of kin;
- banking and credit card details
- sensitive information (e.g. information about health, dietary requirements, injuries, medical history, specific conditions, criminal record) which will only be collected with the consent of the individual
- where it concerns an application for a position with The Outdoor Education Group, information about an individual’s education and work history, qualifications and skills, and the opinions of others about work performance
- other information required for The Outdoor Education Group’s functions and activities.
In some circumstances, The Outdoor Education Group may also hold other personal information provided by an individual.
Personal information will be collected directly by an individual who:
completes an online or hard copy form in relation to The Outdoor Education Group’s services;
- in the course of applying for a position with The Outdoor Education Group, completes an application for employment form or submits a resume, either online or in hard copy, and/or attends an interview
- otherwise provide The Outdoor Education Group with personal information in person or via telephone, email, SMS, fax, post or other means, whether at The Outdoor Education Group’s request or through an individual’s own initiative.
Personal information may also be collected from a source other than directly from an individual, such as from:
- educational organisations, e.g. a school
- family members and relatives, e.g. parents
- community groups and religious organisations
- an individual’s employer
- sporting groups
- external recruitment agencies and background screening providers
- for recruitment purposes, from any of former or current employers and work colleagues, professional associations, registration bodies and educational institutions
- agencies undertaking criminal history checks and working with children checks.
Generally, The Outdoor Education Group will only collect personal information from sources other than an individual if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect personal information from that individual.
The Outdoor Education Group collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information where it is reasonably necessary for the purposes of carrying out its functions and activities, including:
- booking, organising and administering outdoor experiences for school students and community members, including assessing accommodation needs, catering requirements, and the like;
- responding to health-related or dietary incidents that may arise;
- conducting risk assessments and hazard identification;
- accounting, billing and other internal administrative purposes; assessing an application for employment with The Outdoor Education Group or otherwise to engage an individual as a contractor or consultant; and
- any other legal requirement.
The Outdoor Education Group may also use personal information for purposes related to the above and for which an individual would reasonably expect The Outdoor Education Group to do so in the circumstances or where that individual has consented, or the use is otherwise in accordance with law.
An individual is under no obligation to provide personal information to The Outdoor Education Group. However, without certain information from that individual, The Outdoor Education Group may not be able to provide its services. (For example, failing to provide certain information may preclude participation in programs delivered by The Outdoor Education Group, or in a recruitment context, may limit our ability to consider that individual for employment.)
The Outdoor Education Group discloses personal information for the purpose for which we collect it. Generally, The Outdoor Education Group will only disclose personal information for a purpose set out above; this may include disclosing personal information to:
- third parties engaged to perform administrative or other business management functions
- The Outdoor Education Group’s subcontractors, including activity specialists, venue owners, catering contractors, IT contractors and database designers
- doctors, hospital and/or police in the event of an emergency incident involving an individual
- The Outdoor Education Group’s professional advisors and consultants
- insurance providers
- where an individual is applying for a position with The Outdoor Education Group, referees, former employers and colleagues, and relevant bodies that conduct background checks
- any other entity with the individual’s consent or to whom disclosure is required or authorised by law.
The Outdoor Education Group’s disclosures of personal information to third parties are made on a confidential basis or otherwise in accordance with the law. The Outdoor Education Group may also disclose personal information with an individual’s consent or if the disclosure is required or authorised by law. As The Outdoor Education Group is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals, we will view unauthorised disclosure or access to personal information by our employees, contractors or agents as a serious breach of this policy. Appropriate action (which may include disciplinary or legal action) will be taken in such cases.
The Outdoor Education Group may disclose personal information to overseas recipients in order to provide its services and for administrative, data storage (e.g. cloud service providers), recruitment activities or other business management purposes. Recipients of such disclosures are located in Singapore, United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Germany, New Zealand and Kenya but may also be located in other countries. Overseas recipients may have different privacy and data protection standards. However, before disclosing any personal information to an overseas recipient, The Outdoor Education Group will take reasonable steps to ensure the overseas recipient complies with the Australian Privacy Principles or is bound by a substantially similar privacy scheme unless an individual consents to the overseas disclosure or it is otherwise required or permitted by law.
The Outdoor Education Group may use and disclose personal information in order to inform an individual of services that may be of interest. In the event an individual does not wish to receive such communications, that individual can opt-out by contacting The Outdoor Education Group via the contact details set out below or through any opt-out mechanism contained in marketing communications.
The Outdoor Education Group takes reasonable steps to ensure the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference, and loss and unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure. The Outdoor Education Group holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff. The Outdoor Education Group will destroy or de-identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required unless The Outdoor Education Group is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
The Outdoor Education Group takes reasonable steps to ensure the personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. Under the Act, an individual has a right to access and seek correction of that individual’s personal information collected and held by The Outdoor Education Group. If at any time an individual would like to access or correct the personal information held by The Outdoor Education Group about that individual or more information on The Outdoor Education Group’s approach to privacy, please contact The Outdoor Education Group’s Privacy Compliance Officer via the below details. The Outdoor Education Group will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate. To obtain access to an individual’s personal information:
- that individual will need to provide proof of identity to ensure personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and the privacy of others is protected
- The Outdoor Education Group requests the individual is reasonably specific about the information required.
If The Outdoor Education Group refuses a request to access or correct personal information, The Outdoor Education Group will provide written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms. The Outdoor Education Group will also take steps reasonable in the circumstance to provide access in a manner meeting the individual’s needs and the needs of The Outdoor Education Group. The Outdoor Education Group will endeavour to respond to requests to access or correct personal information within 30 days from the date of the request.
Please direct all privacy complaints to The Outdoor Education Group’s Privacy Compliance Officer. At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously
- will be dealt with promptly
- will be dealt with confidentially
- will not affect existing obligations or affect the commercial arrangements between an individual and The Outdoor Education Group.
The Outdoor Education Group’s Privacy Compliance Officer will commence an investigation into each complaint. The individual concerned will be informed of the outcome following the completion of the investigation. In the event an individual is dissatisfied with the outcome, it can be referred to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
The Outdoor Education Group will make its policy available on request and provide access to this policy on our website. This policy may be amended from time to time at the discretion of The Outdoor Education Group and does not form part of the employment contracts of The Outdoor Education Group employees.
For further information or enquiries regarding personal information, please contact The Outdoor Education Group’s
Privacy compliance officer
The Outdoor Education Group
109 Goulburn Valley Highway Eildon Vic 3713
1800 888 900